Saturday, May 9, 2009

Aiming at the Target

When you shoot a firearm or bow, you are aiming at something. In doing so, you keep your focus on what you are aiming at. You are steady in where you point the muzzle or arrow. You deliberate and careful. We must have the same approach towards our own lives.

Whatever my eyes desired I did not keep from them. I did not withhold my heart from any pleasure; for my heart rejoiced in all my labor; and this was my reward from all my labor. Then I looked on all the works that my hands had done and on all the labor in which I had toiled; and indeed all was vanity and grasping for the wind. There was no profit under the sun.
Ecclesiastes 2:10-11 (NKJV)
Solomon, to whom was given great wisdom, examined a number of things which a life can be aimed at. In this passage, he looks at pleasure and those things which are enjoyable. And we all surely know those who are only concerned with having fun, whose lives are dedicated to enjoyable activities. And yet, Solomon's conclusion is that aiming at such is great foolishness and waste. In Ecclesiastes 4:13-16, Solomon examines the concepts of popularity and power, and finds that they too are not proper goals for which to strive.

Do not lay up for yourselves treasure on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroy and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
Matthew 7:19-21 (NKJV)
Christ tells us in the New Testament that our hearts must not be centered on wealth and earthly gain, but rather focused on those things which are spiritual. If our focus is centered on earthly things, if our targets are all of this world, then in this life we will have our reward. If, however, we focus on Christ, setting our eyes on Him (Hebrews 12:1-2), our reward is an eternal reward. We will have eternal life, and dwell with the Lord forever. In Philippians 3:6-16, Paul instructs the church at Philippi to press on towards the goal of the upward call of Christ. The target we aim our eyes at is Christ. We must strive to follow Him, to walk as He walked (I Peter 2:21-22, I Corinthians 11:1, etc.).

If we do so, if we diligently seek Him (Hebrews 11:6), if we aim at that target, we can have the confidence that Paul had.
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Finally, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that Day, and not to me only, but also to all who have loved His appearing.
II Timothy 4:7-8 (NKJV)
Paul, having aimed for Christ, was to receive the reward: a crown of righteousness. That is, Paul was going to receive eternal life and bliss with the Lord.

So, what are you aiming you life at? Is it the things of this world? Fun, money, power, popularity? Or is your treasure stored up in Heaven, having striven to be like Christ? If the former, your reward will be in this short life, so full of suffering. If the latter, your reward will be an everlasting life in the presence of God.

No comments: