Sunday, October 12, 2008

The Seven Churches of Asia: Philadelphia

As we continue looking at the seven churches written to in the book of Revelation, we come to the church in Philadelphia.

Revelation 3:7-13
And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write; These things saith he that is holy, he that is true, he that hath the key of David, he that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth; I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name. Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee. Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth. Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown. Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.
The Positive:
This passage begins with Christ indicating that He knows the works of the church in Philadelphia. We see that the Lord has opened a door that cannot be shut for them. And why? Because they have a little strength, have kept His word, and have not denied the Lord.

We too recognize that we have some strength, do we not? Perhaps not a great deal, but we each have some. Let us work to grow and develop that strength that we might accomplish more for the cause of Christ!

We also need to keep Christ's word. We must hold to it and practice what it says. Keeping the word is more than knowing what it says and having a copy of it. Keeping the word is actually setting out to do what it says. Let us keep to Christ's word!

The church in Philadelphia did not deny Christ. In a time when trouble was brought upon the church, they remained true and faithful to the Lord. If they can do it in times of distress and persecution, we should be able to do so in our times of mild “persecution.”

We see also that the Lord commended the church for persevering, which really just sums up the above three points, but adds an element to it. When we persevere in something, it means it was not something simple or easy for us to do. Persevering requires effort. It requires effort. Let us persevere in our walk with Christ! Even though at times it seems difficult, persevere!

The church in Philadelphia did not have it easy. They had to work hard at things. They still had room to grow (and thus, they had “a little strength”). But nonetheless, they kept with it and did not give up. Let us follow their example in this!

Next week, Lord willing, we will wrap up our brief look at the seven churches when we look at the church in Laodicea (Rev. 3:14-22)

No comments: