Sunday, August 10, 2008

Confession

Christ makes very clear the necessity of confessing Christ.

Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven. But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

Matthew 10:32-33

The implications are clear, of course. We must confess Christ if we desire eternal life. If we want to follow the Lord and be accepted by Him, we must make this confession.


We see that the confession of Christ was made by Peter in Matthew 16:16, when he stated that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the Living God. And we see the Ethiopian Eunuch making the same confession in Acts 8:37. What we are to confess seems clear. We must confess before others that Jesus is the Christ, and that He is the Son of God.


We also learn that making this confession is a part of our salvation. In Romans 10:10, Paul writes,

For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

IF we wish to be saved, we must make a vocal confession of Him.


But is that all we have to do, as far as confessing the Christ goes? We just say once that we believe, and then no more confession Christ is required? Of course, such a thought is an absurdity. Every day of our lives should be a confession of Christ. Paul writes in II Corinthians 9:13 of the obedience that accompanies confession. And Galatians 2:20, Paul provides us with a wonderful description of what our lives should be:

I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

Are we living our lives in such a way that each day is a confession of our faith in Christ? Are we living so that Christ can be seen in us?


Verbal confession is absolutely necessary, as the Bible teaches. Likewise, a person must continue their lives in such a way that every hour of the day is a confession of the Christ. Obedience in both of these is an essential part of our salvation. Let us always remember what Christ promises to those who deny the Christ!

No comments: